Thursday, February 3, 2011

An Update...

Yes, it's 2 am but I can't sleep so I figured I'd give an update, since I've had a few people asking what's going on. I had some tests ran last week to figure out why I'm vomiting and having alot of abdominal pain. An ultrasound and gallbladder function test showed that my gallbladder is in perfect condition. Tuesday afternoon, I came to the hospital to get endoscopy and ERCP done. I've had endoscopy done before but this time, I woke up a few times during the procedure. Needless to say, it was extremely uncomfortable and I actually threw up once, while the tube was still down my throat. Once the procedure was over and I woke up, they told me that I was going to be admitted overnight because they were unable to do the ERCP. The doctor told me that I had chronic pancreatitis and a blocked bile duct, not to be confused with "bowel"-haha. Bile helps you digest your food. When your bile duct is blocked, your body basically isn't digesting any food which also means I'm not getting any of the nutrients I need. Since the bile duct was blocked, my GI doctor couldn't get into it, to unblock it. Yesterday, they did a separate procedure to try and get in the bile duct. I was shocked to learn they don't even put you to sleep for it. They just sedated me. They make a small incision in your side and go in with something like a wire and go through the liver and some other organs, trying to open up the duct. Unfortunately, it was unsuccessful as well. I remember waking up a couple of times during that procedure too. So now, I have to go to Vanderbilt and get them to remove the obstruction. They're still not sure what is blocking it either. My doctor said he feels like it's probably scar tissue but he said it could be a number of other things. He said it does have to be treated because if it's not, it can lead to liver problems and a few other things. Hopefully Vanderbilt can fit me in within the next two weeks. He said if they can't, I may have to go to a clinic in Indiana. He actually said the Indiana clinic is the best place to have this procedure done, so that's why it's our next choice. Dealing with the pancreatitis is a whole separate issue. I've been on fluids since I got here on Tuesday and was put on an antibiotic earlier. Hopefully, I can go home tomorrow. I'm strictly on a liquid diet for a while though and it's taking a toll on me! I am so hungry.

I REALLY miss Barrett through all of this. He stayed at my mom's Tuesday night and is staying with Ty's parents tonight. He came up here to visit for a couple hours earlier though, so I was glad to see him. He's such a sweet boy! I don't know what we'll do when we have to go to Nashville. He could go with us but that would be hard on Ty b/c he'll have to be taking care of both of us. Oh well, we have tons of family that would love to babysit!

Anyways, I guess I better try to get some sleep. For some reason, I just can't ever sleep when I'm at the hospital. I figured since I was awake, I'd just update my blog, since that's easier to do than to tell every person that's asked, what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment