Monday, August 8, 2011

Ugh!

I have gotten so irritated about little things lately and not sure why. I'm hoping it's a temporary thing and it goes away soon! For one, I could do without random people's comments on what I should be doing with my baby. I had a female customer at work, tell me that I shouldn't be feeding my baby baby food and that he should be eating solids. Keep in mind, she doesn't have nor has she ever had any children. If she really knew about babies, she would know that babies develop differently. Barrett has tried solids and chokes pretty often. I asked his doctor about it at his last visit and he said that if he chokes at all, to stop that food and try again in a few weeks. He said he should NOT be choking and that eating solids isn't one of those things that with practice, makes perfect. He would probably just continue to choke. So, we've tried different things. We tried to move up to Level 3 baby food and he's not havin' it! I've heard that most babies don't like the Level 3 foods so we've decided to stick with Level 2 and incorporate different solids at a time. He can pretty much eat anything that's mashed up with no hard clumps in it. He loves Baby Mum-Mums from the grocery but we have to watch him with those. He gags pretty often so we eat those sparingly. He likes the Gerber Puffs too but chokes on them whole so we put them in the Munchkin Feeders and he loves it that way. They're good because he learns to chew and I don't have to worry about him choking. I guarantee that if it was that customer's baby, she would feel completely different!

Every woman is entitled to mother her child as she chooses as long as she isn't endangering them in any way. My son is happy and healthy so why does it matter that I'm not exclusively feeding him solids yet? I mean gosh, I might be saving him from a lifetime of obesity...or atleast that's what all the "studies" say...haha. He also isn't crawling and that really bothers people. He may not crawl for another 6 months! Shoot, he may not crawl at all! I don't really care. He waves bye bye, claps his hands, says mama, dada, bye bye, baba, and yay. He's such a smart boy so I know it's not that he's behind mentally. He's just very content with whatever he's currently doing.

All that really matters is that I love him and take care of him just fine. I wish I could just learn to brush off people like I talked about above. It would make my life much easier. Anyways, I'm through venting...just had to get that out there because I'm sure there are millions more mothers that feel the same way!

4 comments:

  1. Barrett is a very smart boy so don't worry about what other people think/say. I'm sure I will eat my words come January when people make comments to me. lol Remind me then not to worry about people. haha. You are a wonderful mother and everyone raises their kids differently. We don't want to rush him to grow up too fast! Love ya'll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why people feel the need to critique parents. Especially people who don't have children but also other parents should just keep comments/advice to themselves. Like you said, every baby is different and what works for one doesn't work for another. I think you're doing exactly right by not trying to force things on him. Just let him be himself and he will be so happy and confident because of it. BTW, I'm sooo jealous that he's saying "mama" haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Audge! We love you too! You're going to be such a wonderful momma and I can't wait for you to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I know you know the feeling! Haha...unfortunately! It's so funny how babies grow at SUCH different paces and what some babies do, others don't. That's what makes them all unique I guess :)

    ReplyDelete